Thursday, August 13, 2009

A lesson in disappointment (Viveiro, Spain)

Well shucks. EXPLETIVES. It's Thursday night and I'm not on a ship. The Pina Ladre never came into port tonight -- its equipment broke and it stayed at sea. That should teach me to use the word "psyched"! Juuust kidding (really) -- it should teach me that the sea is fickle and the life of the fisherman unpredictable. I asked three other ship owners if I could go to sea on their ships, but they said, reasonably and not unkindly, "Not without a permit you don't!" And the people I had met yesterday night and early this morning were so nice to me. Francisco and others were the ones who pointed out the other ship owners and said, "What's another rejection? See that man? He owns that ship. He's a good guy. Go ask him."

I have a Plan B (suggested by Francisco): Tomorrow I will take a bus to a nearby fish farm owned by Pescanova and learn about pisciculture! The last time I tried visiting a fish farm, in Camarinhas, I was kicked out (they told me to go get a permit in a town about an hour away) -- perhaps they are less paranoid here. And in the evening I am going on a date with myself to the movies to watch a Swedish thriller. I might even invite myself to an overpriced bag of popcorn to hide behind when I get scared. Maybe my hands will accidentally touch when I'm reaching in the bag -- how cute.

Now I will try to sleep (my body is thinking, "What?"). I'll try to dream about being at sea!

1 comment: